Combining the versatility of blogs with the simplicity of Twitter, Tumblr has been steadily gaining popularity over the past year among brands. Monthly page views for the 3 1/2 year-old Tumblr network have doubled to 2 billion in just the past 6 months. Brands such as Newsweek, The Standard Hotel, Ann Taylor, and Comedy Central have jumped in with success by leveraging its short-form blog capabilities and ease of use to promote their brand.
A few Tumblr’s highlights include:
- Fully customizable user interface
- Post text, photos, links, audio and video from a browser, email, or even your phone.
- Automatic posts to Twitter & Facebook, and your own site through an embed feature
- Automatic posts to Tumblr from WordPress, YouTube, Twitter, etc.
- Google optimized (from URL slugs to XML sitemaps) & analytics friendly
Through Tumblr’s extremely easy-to-use admin, it’s possible to organize your team to quickly and easily update the Tumblr site. By leveraging Tumblr’s embedding feature with your brand’s website it can be used to keep your newsfeed fresh. Remote team members can post from their mobile phones through Tumblr’s iPhone, Blackberry, or Android application.
Recent growing pains aside, Tumblr should be considered for your brand’s next social channel. With the right messaging, It will build community and connect with users, leading them back to your brand’s core property.